What is Eye Swelling? What are the remedies?
Eye swelling or swollen eyelids is an eye condition that may occur due to many reasons. Medical conditions, including glaucoma, infection, inflammation, or by an accident. The swelling can be mild or severe and may be red, yellow, or brown in color. It happens when excess fluid collects in the connective tissues surrounding your eyes.
Symptoms of Eye Swelling
- Fluid retention
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis)
- A chalazion
- Stye – an eye infection
- An orbital cellulitis
- Lack of sleep
- Trauma or injury
- Thyroid conditions such as Graves’ disease
Common Causes of Eye Swelling
- Effects of certain drugs
- A blow to the eye
- Excessive use of smartphone, laptop, TV
- Habit of drinking less water
- Addiction to alcohol
- Excess salt in the diet
- Eyelids feel swollen due to dust and inflammation in the eyes
To avoid these symptoms, kindly take advice from an eye care professional, if the eye swelling lasts-longer more than 24-48 hours.
Remedy for eye swelling
If swelling is felt, treatment will be decided after the exact diagnoses, like eyedrops and the cream will be given. Antibiotics will also be given if the eyes are swollen due to bacterial infection.
Home remedy for eye swelling
- Use a tea bag. For this, boil two tea bags in hot water and let them cool. Then place it on the eyes.
- Washing the eyes with plain water can provide relief.
- Use ice if the eye is swollen. For that, keep some ice cubes in a napkin and rub your eyes with that napkin
- Use a cold compress by taking a cloth and soaking it in cold water and squeezing it. Then place it on the eyes and apply light pressure.
- Keep thin slices of cucumber on the eyes. This will help in reducing swelling.
Be careful if the eyes are swollen
- Sleep on time. Avoid awakening.
- Drink at least 8-10 glasses of water during the day.
- Avoid drinking alcohol
- Reduce the amount of salt in the daily food